Wednesday 8 September 2010

L'SHANAH TOVAH!

To my Jewish readers, L'shana tovah!
It's now Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year,
and I've been a busy bee since this morning.
I started the day picking nettles for dinner this
evening. I made Nettle Aloo, same thing as Saag
Aloo
but with nettles instead of spinach.
I also did some more baking, this time sugar free
blackberry caves for father in law who's a diabetic
and a batch of sesame cookies.
The sesame cookies are to die for!

If you are curious about the Nettle Aloo I will
definitely recommend it, it was very nice.
I didn't use any measurements when it comes to
the spices so you just have to follow your tummy
and taste buds this time.
I will recommend that you use more spices than
you might think you want, I thought I used a lot
but it didn't turn out as spicy as I would like it.
Note, the spices I used in my dish are in fact my
own personal choice and not really the standard
in traditional Saag Aloo.

You need:
½ carrier bag of nettles, tops or young leaves
8 potatoes
Hot water
Vegetable/Sunflower oil
1 onion
2 garlic cloves
Fresh grated ginger
Curry powder
Ground cumin
Ground paprika
Ground cardamom
Ground black pepper
Salt

How to make it:
Remove the stalk and only use the nettle leafs
since they won't be liquidised.

Dice the potatoes into not too small pieces and
place them into a pot with the nettle leaves.
Cover with some hot water from the kettle and
let them boil rapidly for a little while, then
simmer until the potato pieces are tender but
not too soft.

Chop the onion into small pieces.

In another pan heat the oil and add the onion
and minced garlic, fry till softened, then add the
spices and the fresh grated ginger.
Stir around then remove from the heat to add the
drained potato and nettles.
Stir everything together gently, so the potatoes
don't disintegrate, and add any further seasoning
at this stage.
Continue simmering gently until the whole mass
has lost more water.

Serves 3 -4.


Enjoy! <3


Sesame cookies.


Sugar free blackberry caves.

2 comments:

Dolly Cool Clare said...

Looks great! A handy tip for your aloo to stop the potatoes going mushy is to use waxy potatoes (such as new potatoes)as they hold their shape well after cooking :)

Amy Georgina said...

Oooh, the sesame cookies look very good. Will also have to try an aloo sometimes.